Thursday, January 16, 2014

Curvy Girl's Journey.....to cauliflower bites

In my journey to eating healthy, I have been eating broccoli, asparagus, or brussell sprouts for almost every meal.  Except for breakfast of course! In my adventure to try a new vegetable, I picked up cauliflower.  I have eaten it raw this week and have enjoyed it but wanted to try something new. 
I decided to bake it and make it crispy with bread crumbs. 

Baked Cauliflower Bites
Serving size: 2   Calories per serving: 125 (without sauce)
Ingredients:
Half head of small cauliflower
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 Egg white
Pasta sauce (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.  Spray olive oil on cookie sheet.
2. Cut the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces. 
3.  Dip each piece into the egg white and then bread crumbs.
4.  Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on size of bites)

Here are my bites before I put them in the oven.  Next time I will make the pieces of cauliflower more uniform.  The small pieces were better tasting than the undercooked larger pieces. 



The finished product! Overall these weren't bad, but they were extremely bland with out the sauce.  Next time, I may try to add Parmesan cheese, chili powder, or some other spice to the bread crumbs.  However, the cauliflower bites were easy to make and still a tasty low calorie treat.  I will make these again with some minor changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment